Can I change my marital regime after the wedding?

The simple answer is yes!  You can indeed change your marital regime after the wedding ….. at a significant cost.

Because a person’s marriage changes their legal status it is necessary to advertise the change of status and thereafter make an application to the high court should you wish to change your marital status after the wedding has taken place.   This is both expensive and time consuming.

Discussing your marital regime with your partner and signing an antenuptial contract before the wedding is a much more cost effective way of regulating your marital regime.  The antenuptial contract must be signed by both of you in the presence of a notary public before the wedding ceremony takes place.